Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sunburst Mirror

If you have a blank wall, that needs a little somethin', what better than an ornate mirror? Trends change, but you'll never go wrong with a sunburst mirror. Big impact to fill a large blank space.

Consider this mirror, available on AMAZON.  It's also is available in silver. Beautiful. However, this will set you back $350! Similar versions are available under $200, but that's still too much for me to consider.



I can afford about $5. So, of course, I turned to some of the creative DIY bloggers who have the perfect solution!

I found a little mirror at the dollar store. The best thing about this mirror was the suction cups on the back - because, all I would have to do was wrap picture wire around two of the little cups, and hang the whole thing with a command hook. (I'm always looking for the easy way out!)

So, first things first. if you don't have a round mirror, I urge you to try a dollar store because it doesn't matter which color you get, because you can spray paint it the color you like.

For my project I used BBQ skewers for the starburst - I had two packages. In one package the sticks were much slimmer and more flimsy, so I used the thicker version.  I considered buying chopsticks at the dollar store, but there were only 8 per package, and I would need quite a few.  That's when I thought about the BBQ skewers. Every summer I pick up a package or two, so I had plenty!

Truly, this is one of the easiest projects ever.  You could use just about anything for the sun burst - chopsticks, real sticks, paint sticks, clothespins... Plus you could use any color spray paint (I used black) but you could use silver, gold, bronze, or bright colors.

First turn your mirror upside down because you'll glue the skewers (or whatever you choose) to the backside of the mirror.

[caption id="attachment_824" align="aligncenter" width="225"] Dollar Store mirror[/caption]



I started by gluing the first four skewers on the mirror, and kept adding skewers as evenly as I could.

[caption id="attachment_826" align="aligncenter" width="225"] Glue Gun
Glue all the Skewers[/caption]


Once all of the skewers were glued, I had to decide how to cover the mirror so that I could spray paint. I confess, I was feeling a little lazy (there's a surprise) and didn't want to tape the mirror, which, with rounded edges would take a lot of tape.  SO, I found a round tupperware lid which covered the mirrored portion perfectly.  I just held it in place and sprayed. Once the front was done, I turned it over and sprayed the back.

I knew exactly where I wanted this to hang. The finished product went on a wall that was completely blank and boring, and had been bothering me.

[caption id="attachment_828" align="aligncenter" width="225"] Finished Sunburst Mirror[/caption]

I love it. I bombarded Big A with my enthusiasm:

"Don't you love it? I love it! I'm going to make one for my sister! It only cost me 1$! Doesn't it look good?".

He had to admit, or give in to make me shut up, and say he liked it.  Win.



 

 

No comments: